The Fourth International Conference “Corporate Museums Today” will take place from 12 to 14 December 2018 at the Museum of Geology, Oil and Gas, Khanty-Mansiysk. It will be devoted to the theme: “Industrial Heritage of the Russian Federation”
Industrial heritage is the most common and, at the same time, the most unvalued type of heritage in the world. Only in the last 40 years, people started to discuss the necessity of its protection. Up to this time, there was consumer attitude to the industrial monuments and objects. However, it is important to note that the situation started to change. Today the value of the whole range of buildings or architectural complexes is unquestionable, but, unfortunately, the value of the movable industrial heritage is not always widely accepted. In addition, it is important to remember, that many of the heritage objects, which are kept by companies and corporative museums, are unique and were produced or preserved in single sample. Consequently, the risk of their loss is a serious problem for the heritage area and history in general.
There is another layer of history and culture that could be easily lost – the intangible heritage. Unlike other types of heritage, intangible heritage could not be preserved or kept in a storage, or placed under the glass case. It must be alive and constantly reproduced, it can exist only in close contact with the communities, which maintained it, otherwise, it will lose its authenticity. For the commercial companies and their museums, working with traditions, legends, memories, "outgoing" production techniques and other types of intangible heritage can help to solve social problems, strengthen corporate spirit and interaction with veteran communities, as well as to increase the loyalty of the audience.
Issues for the discussion:
- How to ensure the protection and popularization of the industrial heritage in the corporate museum;
- Immovable industrial heritage: revitalization, museumification or use in accordance with the original purpose;
- Innovative methods of work with the industrial heritage objects in Russia: ideas, solutions, projects;
- Is it possible to preserve the objects of industrial heritage within the framework of existing production or is it necessary to move them to specialized spaces?
- How can IT technologies contribute to the protection and study of industrial heritage?
- How to organize the work with the digital technologies with the aim of expanding of the audience of the museum and increasing the accessibility of industrial heritage;
- Which type of the intangible industrial heritage can be preserved by the corporate museum? How can they do it?
To participate, please fill in the registration form before the 1st of November 2018. Participation in the conference is free.
In case you would like to make a report, please send an abstract of your presentation (no more than 200 words) and a short bio to the Executive Directorate of ICOM Russia: email@example.com before the 28th of September.