The discussion “Museum communication or what the museum keeps silence about” will take place on the 13th of July at The Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts. The event has the goal of analysing contemporary tendencies and issues in the development of museum communication.
This event continues the series of discussions organized by ICOM Russia in the context of the main theme of International Museum Day 2018 - "Hyperconnected museums: New approaches, new publics". The participants will try to discuss methods of communication between the museum and its visitors on the “language of things” or “language of meanings”, which museums safeguard and promote.
In the light of recent developments in technologies, means of communication, and the industry of entertainment, which meet and accompany the person in every step, museums are concerned about their effectivity of communication with the public. Trying to increase their competitive abilities, museums offer visitors a unique experience which includes knowledge, aesthetic perception, emotions, sense of belonging to history and culture. During the discussion, we will concentrate on the question whether the museum is successful in building communication with the audience. Can it create a message by means of museum exhibits which will be understandable and relevant to museum visitors? What kind of people can be attracted by museums to help it raise communications with the audience? What makes the museum exposition difficult to comprehend? Who and how can help visitors make the interpretation of the heritage at the museum? We will talk about these questions and other problems during the discussion.
The event is organized by the Russian National Committee of the International Council of Museum (ICOM Russia) and the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts.
- Irina Bakanova, Deputy director of the scientist work of The Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts;
- Dmitry Bak, Director of the State Museum of the History of Russian Literature named after V.I. Dal;
- Fekla Tolstaya, Head of the Development Department of the State Museum of Leo Tolstoy;
- Alexander Rubtsov, Deputy Director of the scientific and educational activities of A.A. Bakhrushin State Central Theatre Museum;
- Ekaterina Zmeeva, independent museum designer
- Mikhail Gnedovskiy, Chief Analyst, Moscow Agency for Recreation and Tourism;
The place: Moscow, The Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts